“I can never make my hair look like you do in the salon!”
Its a very big compliment that people in our chair appreciate our work but we also want to help empower you to try out new things at home. You shouldn’t have to work too hard to spice up your style…..
We are here to give you some tips on how to best get easy-to-do styles at home……
When trying out new styles:
- Be patient with yourself. It takes time and practice to try new things!
- Have some tools on hand: fine toothed comb, boar bristle brush, bobby pins, flexible hairspray and/or a sticky pomade
- For medium to longer hair: use a blowdryer with a concentrator nozzle to minimize frizz and a 1-2″ curling iron for curl, wave and movement.
- Always practice the style once before executing for an event. It takes a lot of the anxiety out of the whole process to have already tried and learned a couple things.
Part of feeling confident with your hair is knowing what it does best. Check out some of these tips for different hair types:
-If you have straight, medium to long length hair: Braids can be a great way to create fun styles that make you look fresh and unique. Try this tutorial for getting the hair out of your face with a faux waterfall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBMiWAQQ1FI—- or if you are feeling extra daring- try some of these easy retro styles: http://www.thefashionspot.com/beauty/508461-retro-hair-tutorials/
- If you have shorter hair of any texture: Try playing with a different side part or use a texture product. We highly recommend Night Rider by Kevin Murphy. Whether your hair is fine, medium, thick, straight, wavy or curly- this product can add texture and hold with ease. But be careful! It gets sticky quickly so we recommend trying to recreate a short haired style with a picture you like so you get it right the first time. Take a look at Kevin Murphy working with it himself: http://kevinmurphy.com.au/video/night-rider/
-If you have wavy/curly medium to long length hair: We say embrace it! Having textured hair is special and you should show it off! Try using Moroccan Oil products to moisturize and bring out the best of your curl. Scrunch in the Original Treatment Oil on damp hair and diffuse or air dry. For some more volume and fun, use their Volumizing Mousse with a slow velocity blowdryer as you lift the roots to create body and soft, touchable volume. Or layer on a little iron curl on the ends to create more movement and definition. Coupled with a new side or middle part this effortless look can take you from day into night!
…..Or if you want someone to help teach you, one of our fabulous independent stylists is ready to assist you! Book with one today at www.emersonsalon.com.