We have seen such a surge in requests for pastel hair color lately! With mainstream celebrities like Nicole¬†Richie, Julianne Hough, Hilary Duff, Katy Perry, Cara Delevigne and others trying on the trendy look – its hard to resist diving in too! Here we detail the fun AND¬†the reality of going for a super light fun shade like seen below……….
PRO’s of Pastel Hair
– You are “ON FLEEK!” Be part of a current trend and the envy of your friends!
– Its non committal! Have fun with different pastel shades when you feel like something different once it fades. Or you can play with hair chalk or sprays to try on a pastel hue for a night!
– Spring/Summer are a great time to show off this color change because¬†pastels reflect sunlight beautifully!
CON’s of¬†Pastel Hair
– Most hair needs to bleached first to super light/white blond in order for a pastel to show up properly.¬†Darker shades and previously colored hair will need to be bleached significantly to get to a blond without orange or gold in it. This can cause damage and makes it difficult to guarantee how long a pastel will last. The more damage incurred the quicker a pastel may fade because of the hairs’ porosity. We recommend prepping your hair 1-2 weeks before bleaching with deep conditioning treatments as well as following a bleach and tone service. We love the Deep Quench Moisture Masque by ColorProof-it can rehab the most damaged hair and is also vegan and gluten free.
– It is important to know that any pastel cannot be guaranteed how long it will stay in the hair. Pastels are usually a semi permanent which stains the cuticle layer of the hair and washes out every time it is rinsed or shampooed. ¬† There is also a lot less pigment deposit in a pastel than a fully concentrated color.
-Listen intently to your colorist.¬†Your stylist can recommend ways to keep the color looking fresh. Schedule regular color refresh appointments so you never look dull or lackluster¬†Most people with vibrant color avoid shampooing their hair as much as possible by using dry shampoo in between washing. We love Alterna Caviar’s Powder Dry Shampoo. At Emerson Salon, a colorist can design a custom color formulated conditioner by EVO Fabuloso Pro to help increase the longevity of a pastel.
– Your haircolor is an investment.¬†Getting a pastel haircolor can be expensive to get and expensive to maintain. Be prepared that the service isn’t the only place where your dollars are involved. Appropriate shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioning and leave-in products will be essential to maintaining your fun, new haircolor as well as its health.
–Sunlight is your haircolor’s enemy.¬†The summer UV rays will eat through your pastel haircolor so protect it with a UV protectant like Moroccan Oil. It also moisturizes the hair and protects from heat styling so it is your GO TO PRODUCT to keep your hair looking and feeling good after receiving a pastel with bleaching and toning.
Hopefully we have prepared you for the true nature of getting that AWESOME new pastel hair you’re dying for and we will see you in the chair! Book with an Emerson Stylist by contacting one directly TODAY!